Akarana golf club is one of the oldest golf facilities in New Zealand. Its history begins from 1927. Then it was formal founded on the site of the Winstone farm in Mount Roskill and since the course remained there.
The first architect of the course could be Dr Alister McKenzie after finishing his work at Royal Melbourne and Titirangi courses. In 2003 the course has been enhanced by one Dr McKenzie's disciples Chris Pitman who build three the new holes for Akarana.
The Akarana golf course doesn't have a great length or square but compactness has always been its great feature.
Akarana features 2 nines. The par three 8th hole which measures 176 meters and belongs to the shorter nine (which is par of 34) is renowned as one of the great holes of Auckland, with its bunkers on the left and water on the right.
The second nine is longer outer loop , which has out of bounds on the left of six holes, has the two longer par fives, two demanding par fours in the 13th and 15th, the testing par three 16th and an exciting short par 4.
The full course measures about 5800 meters from the back tees, the course rating is 70.6 and the slope is 124.
The Akarana golf club wants its visitors to consider them progressive, so they has installed a “Tiger Target” driving range on the old first fairway. The clubs square doesn't provide land enough for a full sized practice area so this mini range is suitable compromise for both.
Akarana is quality golf course in the middle of Auckland and has an involved membership but some members leave and, vacancies are created from time to time. So club is welcoming of new members at a subscription rate. The clubhouse of Akarana, opened in 1994 and wait for visitors 7 days a week.